Effects of Water, Alcohols Impurities in Polyaspartic Flooring Formulation
The influence of water and small molecular alcohols on the reaction
rate is remarkable
A Solvent water content and purity
B Powder water content
C Dilute solvents for additives such as leveling agent, defoaming
- Water and impurities in the solvent reacts with NCO
Like all isocyanates, NCO reacts with water. Therefore it is
necessary to use solvent with a water content below 500ppm
(preferably below 300ppm), which is called “polyurethane grade
We also recommend to check impurities in the solvent carefully that
may react with the NCO group, such as butanol and acetic acid in
R-NCO + H2O → Slow R-NHCOOH → Quick R-NH2 + CO2
R-NH2 + R-NCO → Quick R-NHCONH-R
R-NCO +R, R,,NH → R-NHCON- R, R,,
- Strictly controlling raw material water content and polyurethane
grade is required.
- Avoid the use of additives that containing hydroxyl and amino
- Adding water absorbing substances such as molecular sieves, imines
and ketones to treat trace moisture in the system.
- Effects of circumstance humidity and temperature on reaction rate
- Effect of humidity on reaction rate
The influence of polyaspartic resin on the environmental humidity
is smaller than polyurethane. It is not easy to blister. The
humidity is larger and the touch drying speed is obviously
accelerated, but the operation time is not affected.
- Effect of temperature on reaction rate
As with other materials, the higher the temperature, the faster the
reaction, but it’s not so obvious impact of epoxy, the weakness is
not easy to adjust.
Temperature vs potlife
Contact: Ms Annie Qing
Tel: +86 75536694812